[Fedora-packaging] The .pc and pkgconfig issue

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Aug 17 19:35:54 UTC 2006

On Thursday 17 August 2006 15:07, Christopher Stone wrote:
> It doesn't make any sense to have /usr/lib[64]/pkgconfig owned by
> filesystem.
>
> And even, for the sake of argument, that it did.
>
> You will still be requireing that every package that include a devel
> package with a .pc also Require pkgconfig in order to parse that .pc
> file.  So by changing the directory ownership from one package to
> another (which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever) still gains you
> absolutely nothing, or actually gains you more problems than what we
> originally had.

You'll note that I said 'discuss'.  We have things like filesystem
owning /usr/libexec/ which isn't part of the FHS (yet) but used by a lot of
our packages.  Some folks have asked that filesystem
own %{_libdir}/pkgconfig/ too.  I haven't stated whether or not this is a
good idea, just that it has been requested.  I also didn't say we'd
automatically remove the need for Requires: pkgconfig, I said we'd discuss
it.

As a preemptive strike, we discussed it in our meeting this week and decided
that we wouldn't change the guidelines at all, things that have a .pc file
should have a Require: pkgconfig, end of story.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora