[Fedora-packaging] Re: kmdls: very good support for custom kernels (was: kernel-module packaging discussing ...)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Aug 19 13:55:08 UTC 2006

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 01:39:25PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Axel Thimm schrieb:
> > On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 03:02:52PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> Just use the same scheme that a new flavor in the main package would use.
> > That would be for new flavours, not new kernels that share the same
> > set of flavours like the unpatched kernel.
>
> Sorry,  I fail to follow you. Why can the flavor be something like
> "swsusp2", "swsusp2-smp", "swsusp2-xen", ...?

Why should it? The flavour is simply the choice of a config file (not
100% true, but let's keep it simple), that's why it is called a
flavour after all. Overloading it with further information is wrong,
especially when the sole purpose is only to support the kmod hack.

Any custom kernel package out there is either not changing the name or
is suffixing the main name with suspend2/desktop etc. Noone wants to
start hacking new flavours.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net