[Fedora-packaging] RFC: Creating meta group packages via comps

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 19:47:22 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating (jkeating at redhat.com) said:
> *shrug* I'm not sure users want to constantly get more and more packages added
> to their install, vs just the existing packages updated.  Typically
> RHL/Fedora releases wouldn't change comps for the duration of the release,
> but with Extras and new packages being added all the time, comps can get
> updated.  Blindly adding new packages to a user's install isn't the way,
> perhaps if the user launches pirut it can notice that new packages have been
> added to the pool and do a interesting popup or a window that says "new
> packages added to the pool:
> foo in group Bar
> baz in group Zing
>
> and let the USER decide if they want to add those packages or not.

So, to do this you'd need to keep track of the *previous* state of the
comps and do (essentially) a diff. The metadata at the moment isn't
set to store this information.

Napkin-ing this, you'd compare it, see the new packages, and then
pop up:

 New software available in the 'Games' group:

   GnomePoker - Play poker against your friends! Lose all your money!
   HackSlashKillMaim - Role play as your favorite serial killer

 [ Don't install ] [ Tell me more ] [ Ask me later ] [ Install new packages ]

or something along those lines.

Bill