[Fedora-packaging] Fwd: When to use perl(:WITH_...) requires?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Aug 2 21:14:53 UTC 2006

> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 14:17, Chris Weyl wrote:
> > Ok, maybe the third list is the charm :)
> >
> > Could someone please explain to me -- or point me at a doc somewhere
> > -- what these provides are (I gather they indicate features perl was
> > built with), and, more importantly, when they should be used in a
> > spec?  They seem as if they may be fairly important, but there's
> > nothing indicating when they should be used, if they're relevant to
> > noarch packages, etc etc, and neither the wiki nor google (oddly
> > enough) is shedding any light on it...
>
> I think it comes down to if the perl content in your package depends on these
> features or not.
>
> If you know you'll need ITHREADS or LARGEFILES or PERLIO or whatever, then you
> would use one of these Requires.  It depends on the content of your package.

Yep, and that depends on whether your module packages were built using a
perl that has these features enabled or not.  My guess is that they're
probably not too relevant nowadays and could be ignored; I find it
unlikely that a perl without support for threads or large files would
appear in FC any more, and for what it's worth, unlike threading and
large files stuff, PerlIO support is already hardcode-enabled in the FC
perl specfile.

Note: for a definite answer, consult the current FC perl maintainer and
maybe the previous one (Chip Turner).