[Fedora-packaging] Fwd: When to use perl(:WITH_...) requires?

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Wed Aug 2 22:59:02 UTC 2006

On 8/2/06, Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi> wrote:
> Yep, and that depends on whether your module packages were built using a
> perl that has these features enabled or not.  My guess is that they're
> probably not too relevant nowadays and could be ignored; I find it
> unlikely that a perl without support for threads or large files would
> appear in FC any more, and for what it's worth, unlike threading and
> large files stuff, PerlIO support is already hardcode-enabled in the FC
> perl specfile.

Ahhh, ok, so it's more about what's enabled in the perl the module is
built against, rather than something in particular the module's code
is doing.  That makes more sense.

So, from a packaging perspective, would it be appropriate to embed the
various requires :WITH_ or :WITHOUT_ in conditionals like the one
above, in arch-specific packages?  At least that way one knows they
always sync up between the perl package and the module package.

Or am I really making way too big a deal out of something that should
just quietly be allowed to slip into oblivion... :)

> Note: for a definite answer, consult the current FC perl maintainer and
> maybe the previous one (Chip Turner).

cc'ed. :)

Thanks-
                                -Chris