[Fedora-packaging] Re: atrpms kernel modules

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Aug 8 05:40:51 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm schrieb:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 06:22:52PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Axel Thimm schrieb:

>>> Why would suddenly yum/apt work better?
>> Because
>>
>> /lib/modules/MODULE-VERSION-RELEASE/(KERNELVER|KABI)/MODULE.ko
>>
>> avoids that there are ever file conflicts between packages so yum will
>> always be able to install the new module (just like the kernel -- you
>> can of course still do rpm -Uvh manually, but I don't care because
>> that's possible with the kernel, too).
>
> I understand, you push the problem from rpm/yum to module-init-tools,
> e.g. now /sbin/depmod needs to understand rpmvercmp to decide which
> MODULE-VERSION-RELEASE is newer?

Well, if we use the kerneldrivers stuff from jcm then
/lib/modules/MODULE-VERSION-RELEASE/(KERNELVER|KABI)/MODULE.ko
seems like the better place for modules than
/lib/modules/KERNELVER/extra/MODULE/MODULE.ko
because the latter path might be confusing when KERNELVER was already
deinstalled.

> The issue is still there, just not where it belong, in rpm and yum. It
> is now at module-init-tools level and suddenly /sbin/depmod would need
> to understand rpm ordering rules.

The kerneldrivers stuff will handle that in any case afaics. The
question is: do we want to use it. There are also other open question if
we want to use it, e.g.
- when does a kmod get removed?
- do we need to drop the hard dep on the kernel

> I don't think that's an improvement :)

I didn't try it out yet. Maybe it's an improvement, maybe not.

CU
thl