[Fedora-packaging] Re: kmdl proposal and kmod flaws

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Aug 8 23:42:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 06:29:41PM -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> I will veto Axel's current plugin as it uses regular expressions to

Let the plugin wars begin ;)

> Most of my hesitation regarding the uname-r in name scheme is because
> this was fully discussed before and we decided on something different.
> FESCo ratified it and we were going to be able to support in in FC6 and
> RHEL 5.

Decisions can be wrong especially when it affects complex matters that
affects only few packages like less than 0.5% of all packages. The
important thing is that any decision needs to be reevaluated from time
to time and possibly changed. Otherwise you kill development.

> There is another important trade off here.  Right now
> up2date/yum/whatever is able to suck down upgraded kernel modules just
> like upgrades to a new kernel.  This works without modifications to the
> depresolvers because the package name is always the same.

No, you forget that this scheme either nukes or conflicts/coinstalls
the new modules. Imagine running up2date/yum w/o any kmod-plugin
support on RHEL5 and nuking your GFS (or AFS) modules away. You (and
your clients) will not be amused.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net