[Fedora-packaging] Re: kmdl proposal and kmod flaws

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Wed Aug 9 00:06:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 01:42:10AM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 06:29:41PM -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> > I will veto Axel's current plugin as it uses regular expressions to
>
> Let the plugin wars begin ;)
>
> > Most of my hesitation regarding the uname-r in name scheme is because
> > this was fully discussed before and we decided on something different.
> > FESCo ratified it and we were going to be able to support in in FC6 and
> > RHEL 5.
>
> Decisions can be wrong especially when it affects complex matters that
> affects only few packages like less than 0.5% of all packages. The
> important thing is that any decision needs to be reevaluated from time
> to time and possibly changed. Otherwise you kill development.
>
> > There is another important trade off here.  Right now
> > up2date/yum/whatever is able to suck down upgraded kernel modules just
> > like upgrades to a new kernel.  This works without modifications to the
> > depresolvers because the package name is always the same.
>
> No, you forget that this scheme either nukes or conflicts/coinstalls
> the new modules. Imagine running up2date/yum w/o any kmod-plugin
> support on RHEL5 and nuking your GFS (or AFS) modules away. You (and
> your clients) will not be amused.
> --
> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Okay...walk me through this then:

Assuming no yum plugins or other mess.

A new kernel is available that corrects some random remote DoS.  How do
I get all 1300 machines to pull down the new AFS modules?

More complex:  How do I get 1300 machines to download both the new
kernel and AFS modules together?

Assume that we cannot allow a machine to reboot between getting the new
kernel and getting the new AFS modules.  (This equals broken for me.)

Jack

--
Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>
Campus Linux Services Project Lead