[Fedora-packaging] Mail voting on kmdl adoption

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Aug 14 17:19:32 UTC 2006

On Friday 11 August 2006 06:58, Axel Thimm wrote:
> I suggest to vote through email about replacing the current kernel
> scheme with the kmdl or similar scheme.

Perhaps I'm dumb, but after reading your wiki page I'm still not seeing where
the current scheme really falls over.  We have kmod packages treated like
kernel packages in that they are install rather than upgrade.  This is the
same way that the kernel is handled, and if people do silly things with the
rpm command line they can break their kernel just as easily as they can break
their kernel modules.  We have this handling in yum, which is the basis of
every depsolver we support in Fedora / Red Hat.  Yum is used by pup, puplet,
pirut, and anaconda.  All of these make use of the special casing we have in
Yum and handle kmods correctly by installing rather than upgrading them.  If
other depsolvers don't, well that's really too bad and its up to those
depsolvers to handle the packages correctly like they (should) handle kernel
packages correctly.

So, I guess I'm being dumb, and I need it spelled out in big foam letters as
I'm just not getting it, and thus I can't vote on it.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora