[Fedora-packaging] Re: Mail voting on kmdl adoption

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Aug 14 19:17:07 UTC 2006

> On Monday 14 August 2006 14:41, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > The entire infrastructure is based around the name of the SOURCE package
> > which remains the same with kmdls just like with kmods, normal
> > subpackage splits etc.
>
> Hrm, ok, so less impact on infrastructure.  Its still a package that changes
> its name potentially with every rebuild which is still no good in my book.
> ESPECIALLY as a hack to work around other issues.

It's not much worse than openssl :D

Seriously, yes the changing package names are a a bit of a pain, silly
things like scripts to prune out old packages from a repo suddenly need
to be aware of version-in-name thing as well etc.

Both schemes have their good points and weak points and both have been
shown to work most of the time in real world, that's why I suggested
flipping a coin over it earlier in this thread...

	- Panu -