[Fedora-packaging] Re: Mail voting on kmdl adoption

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Aug 14 20:11:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 15:58 -0400, Jack Neely wrote:

> Again, show me how kmdl scales.  A university/enterprise environment is
> not a 3rd party extras repository.

I pointed out earlier in this thread that we've used a scheme similar to
kmdl at work (speaking of thousands of systems here) rather successfully
for several years. And like I stated previously as well, this is just
for the record, I'm not arguing for either scheme.

It's not kmdl or kmod that scales, it's the processes for releasing
kernel modules and the depsolver+plugin to handle them which need to
"scale": a plugin can be smart enough to skip the kernel update if no
corresponding kernel module for the new version can be found, or abort
the entire update. But you'll need plugins for both schemes to catch the
situation where somehow a new kernel slipped out without having kernel
modules for it available, otherwise you can end up with unbootable
system.

	- Panu -