[Fedora-packaging] Re: Mail voting on kmdl adoption

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Aug 14 23:00:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 03:27:44PM -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> No one has offered an explanation or yum plugin to handle scalability.

What about the plugin I submitted to this very list?

> A new kernel is released.  How do I push out a new kernel module to all
> my machines?  This scheme only appears to scale to 1 person with root on
> his home machine.  I need to power an entire university.

yum update with the kmdl plugin is enough. You still need to be root
on all the machines though ;)

> Because kmdl modules do not follow the kernel that adds yet another
> reason why upgrading to the latest kernel is painful and to be avoided.
> We all know where this slippery slope goes.

Of course they follow the kernel, that's what the plugin is for.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net