[Fedora-packaging] Re: Proposal: reject the one-spec approach

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Aug 15 08:38:46 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm schrieb:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 07:42:53AM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> I think we fight to many battles at once. So let's start concentrate on
>> one of the easy ones first. As the uname -r debatte is likely to take
>> some time I choose the "one-spec approach" one.
>
>> -- it's already in production (in FE and LVN)
>> -- we have a lot of packages under review that use the split approach;
> There is exactly one (1) package in Fedora and lives only in FE5.

+2 more in cvs that are not build ATM (thinkpad-lkmod and lirc-kmod)

+7 under review

+6 in lvn

>> -- is time critical because we're already after test2
> For this very one package ...

It's to late for FC6 and RHEL IMHO.

>> - packagers and some reviewers are familiar with it already
> I only count Ville and you.

7 packages under review (from different people afaics), jcmasters,
nirik, f13, jeremy, tibbs

>> - it works in the buildsystem already -- the kmdl scheme would need
>> special handling that needs to be programmed
> In a previous mail you admitted not being kernel agnostic yet because
> otherwise your kmods won't build.

The hardcoded stuff it optional and it works *now*.

>> So changing this will be lot's of trouble without a benefit. So let's
>> reject this part now.
> No, please don't listen to the devil. :)

:)

> Thorsten, this is part of the voting, it will be voted upon, if you
> allow people to do so.

Sure.

> This guerilla tactics are becoming ugly.

That's why I think it's time that spot as leader of this group IMHO
jumps in. Otherwise we waste a lot of time arguing without results.

CU
thl