[Fedora-packaging] Re: fedorakmod.py unfixable

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Tue Aug 15 18:52:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 12:53:00PM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Jack Neely wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 01:32:20PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >You (Axel) are unwilling to admit that your scheme may not be
> >absolutely perfect and are unwilling to work with others to compromise.
>
> My $0.02 again, I think *both* sides, to a certain degree, are guilty of
> this.

You are probably right.

Can Axel come up with examples that make kmod and my code break
miserably?  Yes.  We've all stated that the kmod scheme isn't perfect.
I remember none of us being overly happy when we agreed to it.

However, I too can come up with examples that make kmdl and his Yum
plugin break just as well.  Several folks have discussed them.  This
hasn't swayed Axel.

I'm starting to think that Jesse is right.  Kernel modules don't belong
here.  We have a couple good suggestions and sem-workable code for them.
Hopefully they will be supplanted by the kabi stuff in the near future as
I think that shows a lot of promise.

Perhaps offering several suggestions for packaging kernel modules to the
community is what we do along with banning them from FC/FE.  I don't
like that at all but I'd agree to it.

Jack