[Fedora-packaging] Kernel Module Packaging Standard Teleconference

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Aug 16 00:16:26 UTC 2006

After weeks of discourse on IRC and mailing list discussions, we seem to
  be unable to make progress toward an amicable agreement.

What seems to be the issue is that RPM does not allow any clean solution
to the kernel module packaging problem.  Both kmod and kmdl are
comprised of ugly hacks in order to overcome the design limitations of
RPM.  Both kmod and kmdl have pros and cons, and neither is a clearly
agreed by all parties as being technically superior.

The FESCO side is disconcerted by this situation because a great deal of
effort over years was put into making and ratifying today's kmod
standard.  On the other hand, there is some hope for middle-ground
because of stated willingness to further revise kmod to overcome
remaining limitations.

It is the decision of me, Max, and Spot, to put a hold on publishing any
further kmod modules pending the result the Kernel Module Packaging
Standard conference call.  Time/date of this call is to be determined,
but we are aiming for this Friday, August 18th at a time that is
workable for both American EDT and Europe.  Perhaps 1PM EDT would work,
the usual timeslot of FESCO meetings?  Perhaps this timeslot wont work.
If you feel it is important to attend but you are unable to make this
time, please make it known in this thread.

In order to make this meeting manageable, we must limit the number of
attendees.  Invited are the existing members of the Fedora Packaging
Committee, Thorsten Leemhuis and certain Red Hat employees relevant to
this discussion.  Please talk to me directly if you have been an active
contributor to this in the past but are not included in this invitee list.

My personal feeling is that it is way too late to throw out kmod, OTOH
it is important that we discuss each point to see if kmod can be improved.

If the packaging committee cannot come to key agreements, then the
matter will be escalated to the Fedora Project Board who will make the
key decisions.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com