[Fedora-packaging] Re: Kernel Module Packaging Standard Teleconference

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Aug 16 09:20:22 UTC 2006

Hi Warren,

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 08:16:26PM -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> After weeks of discourse on IRC and mailing list discussions, we
> seem to be unable to make progress toward an amicable agreement.
> [...]  If the packaging committee cannot come to key agreements,
> then the matter will be escalated to the Fedora Project Board who
> will make the key decisions.

there was a staged unbundled voting proposal last week:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2006-August/msg00061.html

and there are three people that voted (2 in favor, one against), then
Thorsten has strongly voiced concerns about the investment into the
old scheme and people stopped voting while the discussions were up
again.

I'm in favor of anything that will speed up the voting process or
bring in any decision, I think the idea of bringing together all
relevant parties is a very good one.

> In order to make this meeting manageable, we must limit the number of
> attendees.  Invited are the existing members of the Fedora Packaging
> Committee, Thorsten Leemhuis and certain Red Hat employees relevant to
> this discussion.  Please talk to me directly if you have been an active
> contributor to this in the past but are not included in this invitee list.

I would like to suggest Jack Neely and Seth Vital. The latter as a
neutral authority on yum and friends to judge on the technical issues
raised and the former as the author of the yum support for kmod which
IMHO is not working and connot be made to work as well as a big
opponent of the new scheme. A working yum is a key point and it would
be good to have a fast return of feedback. If they can be convinced
that the kmod scheme is unsupportable from yum's POV we're already
almost done.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net