[Fedora-packaging] Re: Kernel Module Packaging Standard Teleconference

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Aug 16 17:29:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 07:09:48PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 09:46:51AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > >
> > > I setup an executive summary of the comparison for you and for other
> > > people external to the discussion until now who would like to join in
> > > on Friday:
> > >
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AxelThimm/kmdls/kmods_vs_kmdls_at_a_glance
> > >
> > > and the details remain under
> >
> > May I suggest comparing kmdls to thl's revised kmods?
>
> I already commented to the new suggestion by Thorsten in the
> appropriate thread. I won't start writing a wiki page for each new
> suggestion, maybe the people tosing them should invest some time and
> write wiki docs comparing to kmdls.

I dislike rejecting people, so I looked again at the new proposal ...

Just to make it clear the actual changes wrt kmod are:

o use kabi-version instead of uname-r
o disambiguate the file paths of the modules, so modules of different
  module versions are coinstallable *for the same kernel/kabi*!!!

In fact this scheme is far more broken than the old kmod scheme:

o The 'only-last-kernel-supported' simply becomes
  'only-last-kabi-supported'. For Fedora it's the same anyway.
  So you still have issues with
  - no (security) updates for old kernels (or kabis)
  - old kernels/kabis can get their module nuked or effectively
    disabled.

o Currently there is a file conflicst guard of not having different
  modules for the same kernel coinstalled. The disambiguation in the
  file path lifts this safety pin and suddenly we can end up with
  several different module versions for the same kernel!!!

The kabi stuff is for using modules built for different kernels/kabis,
not to have several modules of different versions coinstalled for the
same kernel/kabi. We certainly want to have foo-2 kernel modules for
kernel/kabi X to replace foo-1 for the same kernel/kabi and not
coinstall.

So that's not going to lead anywhere. We'd better stay with kmod
scheme than doing that.

And please stop throwing new kernel modules schemes to me :=)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net