[Fedora-packaging] Re: Kernel Module Packaging Standard Teleconference

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Aug 17 09:45:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 06:41 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 23:23 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> > So perhaps we could approach this issue from the other direction: what
> > NEVR convention(s) and file locations are required so that rpm, yum
> > and the like will properly handle the modules, including parallel
> > installs without conflict?  What do the spec(s) need to have so that
> > the buildsys can build them for all supported kernel versions and
> > variants?
> Fully agreed, sounds very reasonable to me.

I think this pretty much just another way of saying the same thing I
posted in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2006-August/msg00170.html : focus on the only real technical design issue now, and just reuse the implementation work which is already done as much as possible.

Also, the packaging draft linked to in the above message and the current
"standard" doc from which it is derived from should already contain all
the above info.  Maybe it just needs some restructuring and
clarifications in order to prominently specify what part of it is the
interface and what is the supporting reference implementation that makes
it possible to ship such packages with the current infrastructure.