[Fedora-packaging] Re: kmod: $1 in %post and firends broken (was: Kernel Module Packaging Standard Teleconference)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Aug 18 10:58:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 01:17:22PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 13:40 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > usage of $1 in kmods'scriplets is broken.
>
> Why would it be necessary to use it in the first place?

Don't you see any neccessity in having kmdls able to distinguish
between being first time installed/upgraded/removed?

I'm not making use of $1 in kmdls, but I can very well think of some
use cases:

o storage drivers that need to place themselves in initrd (actually
  that is a missing feature often reported on qla modules at ATrpms)
o creating device drivers for systems w/o dynamic /dev (like RHEL3)
o signaling a daemon to either start/reload firmware/stop like the
  case with ipw3945 & daemon - additionally needs a check whether the
  operation is for the running kernel. This is also an unfinshed item
  of ATrpms' kmdls for ipw3945 (there is additionally a racing during
  installation of kmdls and the daemon and needs to be addressed
  upstream, but that's off-topic)

You can think of other situations where you do want to know whether
this package is upgrade/first-time installed/removed. But to be fair
exactly because $1 is not in present use I rated this bug low in the
ratings column.

Dropping mechanisms to support a broken scheme just because you
don't yet have a current need for that mechanism is wrong.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net