[Fedora-packaging] %makeinstall - must not or should not use it?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Fri Aug 18 19:02:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 12:02 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> TK> Does this make more sense?
>
> Absolutely.  Count this as a +1 for that wording if someone wants to
> vote on the list.

Great!  List voting would be perfect for little clarifications like
this.  I've removed the "broken" from the text but otherwise left this
the same.  If we can get six packaging committee members to vote +1 on
it, I'll put it into ratify.

"Fedora's RPM includes a %makeinstall macro but it must NOT be used when
make install DESTDIR=%{buildroot} will work.  %makeinstall is a kludge
that can work with Makefiles that don't make use of the DESTDIR variable
but it has the following potential issues:"

-Toshio