[Fedora-packaging] GConf snippets suggestion

Yanko Kaneti yaneti at declera.com
Sun Aug 20 19:21:52 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 10:19 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 09:45 +0300, Yanko Kaneti wrote:

> > It tries to emphasize the proper (IMHO) --disable-schemas-install method
> > of disabling schemas installation on the build host vs the prevalent
> > GCONF_DISABLE_MAKEFILE_SCHEMA_INSTALL hack (again IMHO)
> >
> Could you explain why the configure script option should be considered
> canonical and the environment variable a hack?

Its should be canonical because its part of the AM_GCONF_SOURCE_2
autoconf macro which in turn is used by perhaps 99% of all gconf-using
packages out there.
Now, some use the macro but don't honor the automake conditional that
--disable-schemas-install sets. This IMO should be considered an
upstream bug.

As to why using an overly wordy environment variable to negate a
specifically invoked action of a tool should be considered a hack? I'll
leave that to your good taste.
I personally consider the existence of this mechanism a GConf birth
defect that's been carried for too long.

On a side-note
If there was a more global auto* foo for flagging a staged build/install
perhaps we wouldn't need package specific magic like that at all.

Yanko