[Fedora-packaging] Importance of debuginfo packages

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Aug 21 16:48:05 UTC 2006

On Monday 21 August 2006 12:26, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Is it really?  I don't know how to use debuginfo packages, so I don't
> know if there's any point to having them if they're not complete.
>
> Obviously we know that a debuginfo package with no files should be
> disabled, so what needs to be there before there's any point to
> enabling it?

Enough so that running gdb (gnu debugger) on the application will produce a
meaningful traceback.  This helps a lot in figuring out where / why an
application is crashing.  Without a debuginfo package you cannot get this
information without recompiling the package and leaving the binaries
unstripped.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora