[Fedora-packaging] Absolute symlinks

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Aug 23 19:41:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 09:29 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:

> > What rpmlint chooses as a warning and what it chooses as an error seem
> > to be arbitrary and not generally useful for predicting how
> > significant the issues are.  That is why I ask here.
>
> If we're speaking in "general", then consider rpmlint errors to be
> serious that deserve attention, and rpmlint warnings to be less serious
> and well, you get the idea.

That's correct, with the addition that there are some checks that
generally produce more false positives than others and aren't
currently/cannot be done too robustly; in those cases I nowadays
personally tend to make messages for new checks warnings even though the
actual thing complained about might be a severe error if it's not a
false positive.

There's also quite a bit of historical baggage whose error/warning
classification rationale is unknown to me, and may no longer be quite
optimal as upstream rpmlint is no longer Mandriva specific.