[Fedora-packaging] RFC: Creating meta group packages via comps

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Aug 30 06:17:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, seth vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 06:27 +1200, Michael J. Knox wrote:
>> seth vidal wrote:

>>> So you want to make packages based on what is in comps?
>>>
>>> Whats the point of that if we can just read the comps information
>>> itself?
>>
>> Not if you use smart or apt.. these tools don't use comps.xml
>>

> That's up to them, isn't it? Ask the application maintainer.

Apt used to have support for comps.xml with the previous format of
comps.xml in the form of a plugin and it's certainly on the todo-list to
resurrect the functionality one way or the other.

As for metapackages, JUST SAY NO. I've been down that path, they are
nothing short of hidous to deal with. Carefully handcrafted metapackage(s)
*might* make sense in some specific environments / cases but automatically
generated humongous dep-bloat comps-metapackages are nothing but pain,
pain, pain.

 	- Panu -