[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts Draft Proposal

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Dec 5 18:50:12 UTC 2006

tcallawa at redhat.com ("Tom 'spot' Callaway") writes:

> I drafted a proposal for when it is ok to use Conflicts: (almost never):
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Conflicts

The statement

| My package, foo-game doesn't work when bar is older than 1.2.3.
| WRONG: Conflicts: bar < 1.2.3
| RIGHT: Requires: bar >= 1.2.3

is wrong and should be the opposite. There should not be added a Requires:
when package 'foo' works without 'bar' but fails with 'bar < 1.2.3'.

Popular example is the 'kernel' package. Lot of packages won't work with
kernel 2.4 but it would be wrong to Require: the 'kernel' package.

Enrico