[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts Draft Proposal

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Tue Dec 5 22:04:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 13:18 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> -1 to ask the Steering Committee to audit these on a case by case basis.
> Conflicts should be infrequently used, but it's not really something
> that I think needs to be evaluated like that.  It's not political and
> it's not really an abuse of a tag when used correctly.  It's a technical
> decision and should be worked out by a reviewer and packager.  (And
> "after importation QA" if we had that.)

I had the same hesitation initially - if this is somethign that comes
upa  lot or slows down reviews, we/FESCo will need to come with a more
lightweight way. Though I wouldn't just leave conflicts up to individual
reviewers, since they can have bad implications on the useability of the
distro as a whole; that's where conflicts deserve more attention than
requires (too many requires bloat installs, but don't keep you from
using things in parallel).

David