[Fedora-packaging] Re: Re: iconcache scriptlets

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Dec 6 07:39:26 UTC 2006

rdieter at math.unl.edu (Rex Dieter) writes:

>>> The fdo spec mandates the timestamp of the installed-to icon dir
>>> *must* be updated.
>>
>> What is a 'fdo spec'?
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html#implementation_notes

Oh, I see. The 'touch' makes a differences when user installed a 3rd party
application with a 3rd party toolkit which is following freedesktop.org
iconcache-recommendations.

>> | gtk-update-icon-cache --quiet --force %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor || :
>> vs.
>> | touch --no-create %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor || :
>> | %{_bindir}/gtk-update-icon-cache --quiet %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor || :
>> would led to your conclusion.
>
> Consider the case that gtk2 (and gtk-update-icon-cache) is not present at
> install-time (since we currently don't Requires(post,postun): gtk2),

Please don't write 'Requires(post,postun):'; dunno whether you meant it
symbolically only. But it's wrong and sickly.

> then the icondir timestamp will fail to be updated.

This would not make a difference: in both cases ('touch' and '--force')
the iconcache will be updated in the same manner during the installation
of 'gtk-update-icon-cache'.

Currently (with FC5 gtk2), icon-cache won't be updated because gtk2's
scriptlets do not call 'gtk-update-icon-cache'.

Enrico