[Fedora-packaging] Re: LSB/FSG's packaging summit on Wed, Dec 6th

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 7 11:58:24 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 06:22:23PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 00:05 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > the Free Standards Group will have its first packaging summit on
> > Wednesday:
> >
> >   http://www.freestandards.org/en/LSB_face-to-face_(December_2006)
> >
> > Some people from RH/Fedora like Paul Nasrat and Seth Vidal will be
> > attending and presenting/discussing rpm and yum. Since I live a couple
> > of blocks away I'll try to sneak in, if possible ;)
>
> You live a couple blocks away? If you'd like to meet up for a meal one
> night drop me an email.

I both met Seth & Paul, as well made it through SAP security blocks
to the summit :=)

The focus at the summit was on the interaction between ISVs and
distributions. ISVs want to have installers to control the user
experience while dumping their files on disk, but still want the files
to appear as having been installed through a package.

The net result was that a very bare-bone cross-distribution API should
be created and blessed into the LSB that ISV installers can use to
query the package databases and then register/unregister their own
"packages". That seems to keep everyone happy as a first step: ISVs
have a better way to communicate with the native layers, distros have
a well-defined way of what an ISV packages may or may not do, and the
user can use rpm/yum queries to check what ISV packages exist on his
system.

Other than Red Hat/Fedora there were distribution representatives from
Novel, Debian, Ubuntu and Xemian. There were presentations from the
distros on their package management methods and presentations from
depsolver tools/package managers.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net