[Fedora-packaging] Re: Proposal to limit file deps

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Dec 21 18:00:06 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm schrieb:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 02:43:31PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> And the same metrics for extras: 26 files required by 27 packages out
>>> of 3660 packages:
>>> That's again 0.7%, so the combined Fedora is at 0.7%, too.
>> Well, my initial calculations found 32 file based deps outside of "/etc
>> {/usr,}/{s,}bin/" in Extras 6 x64 ;-) Just to note, I mentioned that
>> when I started the whole mess after skvidal poked me about it. See
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2006-December/msg00077.html
> But then it was known that this is negligible,

"negligible" IMHO is debatable, but yes, it's not a big problem (currently).

And just to clarify: I just started to look into it because skvidal
poked me about it. I had no interest in it myself and after the initial
research I did te thing rolled on its own.

> why does it escalate
> to become even a proposal for guidelines?

To avoid that there get more of those added in the future?

> Do we care that yum fetches
> the filelists every 140 package updates?

If it can be avoided easiy: yes.

There is also the OLPC hardware that seems to be quite slow and will
probably take ages to resolve such a dep. We should keep that in mind, too.

CU
thl