[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts Draft Proposal

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Dec 5 17:33:38 UTC 2006

Tom 'spot' Callaway (tcallawa at redhat.com) said:
> I drafted a proposal for when it is ok to use Conflicts: (almost never):
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Conflicts
>
> Keep in mind that while it is not stated in the Draft, the kernel is
> considered a special case, and I feel strongly that most (if not all) of
> its existing Conflicts: will be approved.
>
> Fedora Packaging Committee Members should vote via email on this issue,
> as we did not have quorum in the IRC meeting to vote.

Example:
My package, foo-game doesn't work when bar is older than 1.2.3.
WRONG: Conflicts: bar < 1.2.3
RIGHT: Requires: bar >= 1.2.3

What about when foo-game doesn't actually require bar?

To be more precise:

$ rpm -q --conflicts initscripts
mkinitrd < 4.0
kernel < 2.6.12
ypbind < 1.6-12
psacct < 6.3.2-12
kbd < 1.06-19
lokkit < 0.50-14
dhclient < 3.0.3-7
tcsh < 6.13-5
xorg-x11
glib2 < 2.11.1-2

Some of these can be flipped to requires (kernel, for example, glib2). However,
making initscripts *require* things like ypbind, psacct, dhclient would be
wrong.

Bill