[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts Draft Proposal

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 21:18:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 11:40 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> > $ rpm -q --conflicts initscripts
> > mkinitrd < 4.0
> > kernel < 2.6.12
> > ypbind < 1.6-12
> > psacct < 6.3.2-12
> > kbd < 1.06-19
> > lokkit < 0.50-14
> > dhclient < 3.0.3-7
> > tcsh < 6.13-5
> > xorg-x11
> > glib2 < 2.11.1-2
> >
> > Some of these can be flipped to requires (kernel, for example, glib2). However,
> > making initscripts *require* things like ypbind, psacct, dhclient would be
> > wrong.
>
> And in those cases, you should use Conflicts, you just need to provide
> rationalization to the appropriate Fedora Committee and have a comment:
>
> e.g.
>
> # When ypbind is older than 1.6-12, the initscripts explode horribly.
> # ypbind is not required for initscripts to function.
> Conflicts: ypbind < 1.6-12

+1 to defining what's inappropriate for Conflicts and how to work around
things.

+1 for commenting anytime Conflicts is used.

-1 to ask the Steering Committee to audit these on a case by case basis.
Conflicts should be infrequently used, but it's not really something
that I think needs to be evaluated like that.  It's not political and
it's not really an abuse of a tag when used correctly.  It's a technical
decision and should be worked out by a reviewer and packager.  (And
"after importation QA" if we had that.)

Maybe making it clearer when it's okay to use Conflicts would be a good
idea if we do that though:

"""
The only time Conflicts are allowed is when a package does not Require
the other package but can make use of it as long as the other package is
of the correct version.  When this occurs you are allowed to use a
versioned Conflicts to specify this and you must also include a comment
which explains the reasoning:

# When ypbind is older than 1.6-12, the initscripts explode horribly.
# ypbind is not required for initscripts to function.
Conflicts: ypbind < 1.6-12

If there is another instance where you think a Conflicts is required,
please ask for input from the Packaging Committee so they can discuss it
and decide if a change is needed to these Guidelines.
"""

-Toshio