[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts Draft Proposal

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Dec 6 06:31:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 11:26 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> I drafted a proposal for when it is ok to use Conflicts: (almost never):
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Conflicts

+1, except one detail:

> There are many types of files which can conflict between multiple
> packages. Instead of using Conflicts:, try the following:
>
> * man page name conflicts: Rename the man pages to include a prefix of
> the providing package (e.g. foo-check.1.gz vs check.1.gz)

IMO, this example is bogus: Man-pages should always be named after what
they are trying to document, i.e. section 1 mans must be named after the
application.

=> Documenting /usr/bin/check in a man-page named foo-check.1 because it
conflicts with /bin/check's man-page is a no-go.

Better, change the man-pages suffix, or change the name of the
application and the name of man-page at the same time.

Ralf