[Fedora-packaging] Re: what policy for python egg files

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Dec 18 18:23:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 05:47:48PM +0000, David Lutterkort wrote:

> > > I guess the point is that I can't figure out what additional value it
> > > adds, and in general it's bad to package up something that's
> > > completely needless.
> >
> > egg is a packaging method that is orthogonal to what we use. Leaving
> > the eggs around may get users to start using egg-installation and get
> > files on the system unregistered by rpm.
> >
> > Or not? If the above is correct eggs should even be banned just as
> > other non-native package formats are banned (debs or tarballs for
> > example).
>
> The crucial issue are the dependencies that right now have to stay
> within each packaging format; if rpm's can't contain any egg (or gem or
> whatnot) info, users will end up installing the same package twice, just
> to fulfill dependencies completely within each packaging system.

Don't you have the same issue if you install the egg with -Z? If not,
then the (egg-)package dependencies are obvioulsy spooled somewhere on
disk for easy_install and friends to find.

> It would be much more userfriendly if we laid the groundwork for other
> packaging systems to depend on rpm-installed bits; that mostly means to
> _allow_ inclusion of non-rpm packaging metadata in rpms.

If you like so, having "egg-provides" is fine, of course. Just like we
have foo.pc, but don't keep the full tarball around.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net