[Fedora-packaging] printing textual messages in %post etc.?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Dec 21 11:49:47 UTC 2006

On 21.12.2006 09:06, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Do the GuideLines/Does the FPC have an opinion on rpms intentionally
> printing out textual messages during installs?
> At least, I could not find a corresponding paragraph in the GuideLines.

Hmm, I think we discussed this some weeks/months ago and I think the
consensus was that "RPM files should not output anything during
(un)install". But I can't find it in the guidelines just yet -- maybe
was forgotten again... (or I'm to blind to find it)

> I don't have a strong opinion on this and actually am ambivalent.
> On one hand, such messages can be helpful to users.
> On the other hand, in general, rpm-installs should be silent as much as
> possible.

/me strongly votes for silent. Yes, having "something" that sends notes
like the one from tripwire to the sysadmin somehow would be helpfull.
But %pre{,un},%post{,un} are the wrong place for it IMHO as it often
scrolls away quickly unnoticed and is not even shown in pirut and other
tools afaik.

CU
thö