[Fedora-packaging] Re: Proposal to limit file deps

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 21 13:24:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 02:10:18PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 08:55:25PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Hey all, I've just added a draft proposal for limiting file dependencies
> > in packages.  It's a "should" recommendation at this point.
> >
> > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/FileDeps
> >
> > = File Deps Guideline =
> >
> > == Problem ==
>
> How often does this problem really occur? I just checked core's x86_64
> packages and there are exactly 12 files in such dependencies
> affecting 18 packages out of 2422 (that's 0.7%):
>
>   cman-kernel dlm-kernel gamin-python gdm GFS-kernel gnbd-kernel httpd
>   ImageMagick-perl inn libvirt-python libxml2-python libxslt-python
>   openldap-servers openmotif openssh-server python-lcms redhat-lsb
>   vsftpd
>
> That's 0.7%. I thought that the problem was much larger. I either
> miscalculated the number of file dependencies or there is no problem :)

And the same metrics for extras: 26 files required by 27 packages out
of 3660 packages:

   chess clamav-devel ctapi-cyberjack cvs2cl em8300-devel freefont
   ftnchek-emacs gnash-plugin libibverbs-devel mimetex
   mozilla-opensc-signer openbox openct pcsc-perl perl-Image-Info pyxdg
   SoQt-devel tuxpaint util-vserver util-vserver-legacy util-vserver-sysv
   uuid-devel uuid-pgsql uuid-php w3c-markup-validator-libs
   x11-ssh-askpass xmms

That's again 0.7%, so the combined Fedora is at 0.7%, too.

Still hoping my calculations aren't flawed ...

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net