[Fedora-packaging] Re: iconcache, v0.5

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 17:23:05 UTC 2006

> On Friday 22 December 2006 09:22, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > imo, ldconfig example isn't a good one, but I get your point.
> > Difference being here, messing with ldconfig can horribly break things.
> >   A stale iconcache doesn't break anything, at worst only affects app
> > startup time (a little).
>
> Ah!  I missed this point.  If the above statement is true, I'm all for it.  I
> had thought we were going down the road of making a rule that would leave the
> cache unupdated period, and Some Other Process As Of Yet Unwritten would have
> to clean up behind us.  If this happens already, and all the end user sees is
> a slight delay, I'm for it.

Rex may need to correct me here but I believe with the current gtk
package and removing the gtk-update-icon-cache calls in the %post
scripts will create a situation where the cache is not updated
consistently.  Only when a package that has a gtk-update-icon-cache
scriptlet is installed/updated will the cache be updated.

The difference Rex is speaking of is the level of necessity of
ldconfig's cache vs the iconcache.  If the iconcache is not up to date
gtk is supposed to fall back to not using the cache.  If ldconfig's
cache is not updated, basic pieces of the system can go boom.

That said, if we want to change the guidelines, to not require the
iconcache is in place I'd like to see something take care of updating
the cache if it's out of date.  So the choices I see are:

1) Leave the guidelines the way they are.  The drawbacks have been
stated several times with different ones being important to different
people.
2) Use Rex's cron script.  This leaves a stale cache around part of the
time but has the benefit of being written now.
3) Write a file watching daemon that can refresh the cache when new
files are installed.  (This may either be a daemon specific to gtk or,
as Havoc suggested in bugzilla, a generic daemon that can be configured
to invoke a program when a filesystem event occurs.)

Matthias, in the bug report it seemed that you weren't opposed to
leaving the scriptlets out of the packages and let the icon cache go
stale.  Is there a reason not to include the cron script as a temporary
measure until a script to monitor for icon changes is written?

-Toshio