[Fedora-packaging] Re: iconcache, v0.5

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Dec 22 22:37:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 02:46:10PM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> AT> I wasn't thinking of forking daemons for the on-the-fly cache
> AT> updating, more a side effect of using gtk libs, e.g. a model like
> AT> python creating pyc on the fly, tex creating fonts etc.
>
> The python setup requires that the specific scripts run as root; the
> TeX stuff requires rather tricky things like world-writable
> directories or setgid bits.  Neither is close to ideal.

Those were just examples, noone suggests copying the implementations ;)
There is anyway the question of having generated files under /usr,
e.g. a better implementation of a cache will move the generated bit
to under /var for stateless/livecd/ro-usr purposes.

> In any case, it seems as if one proposed solution does indeed require
> a daemon sitting around watching for changes to the icon directories
> and regenerating the cache on the fly.  That's what I was commenting
> on.

Well, we've become rather off-topic anyway, we're not gtk developers,
and they probably already know what the solution will look like.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net