[Fedora-packaging] PLEASE HELP - We need a policy for preventing man page name conflicts

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Sat Feb 18 05:47:45 UTC 2006

Many packages provide man3 (and other) man pages with generic names.
The case in question in ncarg-devel and allegro-devel which both provide
man3/line.3.gz.  So, what do we do?

- package in /usr/share/<package>/man/?  If so, how to we update
MANPATH?  How does man handle finding both (all) of the man pages?

- rename to something like <package>_<manpage>?  Do we always do this?
Only if a file conflicts?  Is there an easy way to find conflicts before
packaging?

- suffixes <manpage>.3<suffix> ?  Can man handle this?

Please help!
--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                   303-415-9701 x222