[Fedora-packaging] Python eggs

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Thu Jan 26 05:10:34 UTC 2006

Certainly it is feasible to write a script that could look at setup.py
after the fact and extract the requirements from there, or even to
inject a bit of code into setuptools itself. Provides might require a
little more work unless we switch to using the python() namespace.

> The biggest challenge I ran into was getting setuptools to recognize the
> existence of some non-eggd dependencies. For example, python-elementtree
> was installed but setuptools keeps insisting that it couldn't find
> cElementTree >= 0.2. This is more of a pythonland issue than an rpmland
> issue, but we'll definitely have to address it in order to make .eggs work
> nicely.

Unfortunately [c]ElementTree et al will be a persistent issue until
either setuptools becomes part of Core, or the maintainers of the Python
packages in Core are convinced to include additional information within
the package (which may or may not be egg information). If you look at
how I did it in TurboGears you see that I commented out the packages in
setup.py that don't provide egg/package information, but this certainly
isn't something we want to do long-term.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/