[Fedora-packaging] Python eggs

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 04:54:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Michael Weiner wrote:

> > Unfortunately, the Python community is becoming intoxicated with eggs!
> >
> > Is there a strategy (preferably backed by rpm macros) to deal with this
> > - ie sanely packaging all egg'd installed prerequisites??

Having just become familiar with this stuff myself yesterday, it seems
like it should be fairly simple to package up the .egg's themselves. I
think the main challenge is to come up with a way of automatically turning
egg dependencies (both provides & requires) into rpm dependencies... This
should be doable with minimal rpm modifications. .egg's already have all
the information necessary to do this.

The biggest challenge I ran into was getting setuptools to recognize the
existence of some non-eggd dependencies. For example, python-elementtree
was installed but setuptools keeps insisting that it couldn't find
cElementTree >= 0.2. This is more of a pythonland issue than an rpmland
issue, but we'll definitely have to address it in order to make .eggs work
nicely.

Perhaps the maintainer of the python-setuptools package can shed
additional insights, since that's where all the magic happens.

Best,
-- Elliot