[Fedora-packaging] Re: Request to drop %(%{__id_u} -n) in preferred buildroot

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jul 19 13:47:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 08:35:53AM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 09:10:16AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> >I don't think it's worth while risking it. Better/easier to
> >
> >a) override it in buildsystems aynway, and
>
> It's been tossed around that this might be something worth stuffing into
> redhat-rpm-config
>
> >b) put a sensible default in the guidelines
>
> IMO, the guidelines already include a sensible default.

Well, the thread instantly drifted from discussing the default to
discussing removing it altogether. Unfortunately the arguments are
only found at the beginning of the thread, so you may want to check
that. In short id -un doesn't make sense, even epoch or target/arch
would make more far more sense in a guideline's BuildRoot.

Note that the guidelines are also there to educate people how to write
clean and non-obfuscated specfiles. I'm quite sure the BuildRoot is
cut & pasted in 99.99% of the packages making it a defacto proper
thing to do. If it's bogus we need to fix it and not endorse it
furthermore. Two independent reviewer considered this a blocker for a
review's acceptance (even though it's marked "preferred").
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net