[Fedora-packaging] Yum Kernel Module Plugin

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 20 16:40:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 06:13:33PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Jack Neely schrieb:
>
> > The code is in yum-utils CVS and will be in that package the next time
> > its released.
>
> thx for your work!
>
> > I support kernel module upgrading (where an older module
> > needs to be removed to avoid file conflicts) and pinning the kernel
> > until the kernel modules the system uses are available for the new
> > kernel.
>
> Hmmm, pinning sounds nice, but should we enable it as default? The
> questions afaics simply is:
>
> Whats more important? Running the latest kernel where all known security
> problems are fixed or running a kernel where all modules are present?
> I'd prefer the solution where all security problems are fixed, even if I
> lose functionality. I know, that not ideal in every situation, but
> security IMHO is more important so it should be the default. If users
> modify it than it's not our fault.

*nod*  Its configurable for this purpose.  My insitution has to have
OpenAFS working, but in the general case I agree.  I think its set to
on on yum-utils right now, I'll make sure it defaults to off.

> > What functionality from the plugin would folks like to see in FC6 so
> > that we could be closer to having kernel modules in extras?
>
> There is one oddity currently discussed on fedora-packaging. Maybe you
> can fix it in your plugin easily:
>
> Situation:
>
> $ rpm -q kernel
> kernel-2.6.17-1.2145_FC5
> kernel-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5
> kernel-smp-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5
> $ rpm -qa kmod-ntfs*
> kmod-ntfs-2.1.27-1.2.6.17_1.2145_FC5
> kmod-ntfs-2.1.27-1.2.6.17_1.2157_FC5
> kmod-ntfs-smp-2.1.27-1.2.6.17_1.2157_FC5
>
> kmod-ntfs{,-smp,xen0,...}-2.1.27-2.2.6.17_1.2157_FC5 show up in the repo
> and user runs yum update. After that:
>
> $ rpm -qa kmod-ntfs*
> kmod-ntfs-2.1.27-2.2.6.17_1.2157_FC5
> kmod-ntfs-smp-2.1.27-2.2.6.17_1.2157_FC5
>
> e.g. kmod-ntfs-2.1.27-1.2.6.17_1.2145_FC5 was removed. Can that be
> circumvented?

Yes.  This is within the module's current functionality.  Kernel modules
are installed only.  The only time a kmod is removed is when there is an
updated version for a kernel that already has an older version of that
kmod installed for it.

> BTW, does a simple "yum install kmod-foo" now install modules for all
> kernel-variants taht are present? E.g. I'd like to see this:

Not yet.  But I'm not done yet.

Jack