[Fedora-packaging] Re: atrpms kernel modules

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Jul 23 13:42:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 23:39 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> The name is used for versioning in several other packages for similar
> reasons (to *sanely* allow more than one version of the package
> simultaneously installed and updated), for example:
>
> [pmatilai at cs181077098 ~]$ repoquery 'openssl*'
> openssl-perl-0:0.9.8a-5.2.i386
> openssl097a-0:0.9.7a-4.2.1.i386
> openssl-0:0.9.8a-5.2.i686
> openssl-devel-0:0.9.8a-5.2.i386
> openssl-0:0.9.8a-5.2.i386
> [pmatilai at cs181077098 ~]$ repoquery 'libpng*'
> libpng-devel-2:1.2.8-2.2.1.i386
> libpng10-0:1.0.18-3.2.1.i386
> libpng-2:1.2.8-2.2.1.i386
> libpng10-devel-0:1.0.18-3.2.1.i386

And I personally think those are abuses of %{NAME}. I'd much rather see
the compat-* ideology used there instead of overloading Name.

Let me put it this way:

Unless someone can show me a solid write-up that shows that there is
_NO_ way to handle kernel modules without overloading Name, I'm going to
oppose it on principle.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Technical Team Lead || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!