[Fedora-packaging] Re: atrpms kernel modules

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 26 14:33:05 UTC 2006

> Would you be interested in adding support for the kmdl scheme to yum
> (or a plugin) *before* a decision is made?
>
> I'm suggesting this because kernel module handling is for many in this
> list too abstract to discuss on paper and a live demonstration using
> yum and kmdls would certainly help moving on on this subject here. A
> bash shell script doing it is 9 lines, so I hope for you it would be
> almost trivial to pluginize.
>
> Even if the decision can't be made in time for FC6 (which effectively
> would mean to keep the current scheme) it would not be a waste of time
> as it is already in use at ATrpms, and many users want to see yum
> auto-coinstalling them upon new kernels.
> --
> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

If you'd like to contribute a Yum plugin or patches to one of the
existing 2 they are in the yum-utils project.  They're not hard to write and
there are a handful of good examples now.  My time is going toward the
current proposal.

Panu does have a plugin in yum-utils to support a uname-r in name scheme
for kernel modules.  Looks like it needs to be updated a bit, but
perhaps that could be a starting point for your work.

Jack