Re: [Fedora-packaging] PHP packaging policy notes

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

"TJ" == Tim Jackson <lists timj co uk> writes:

TJ> Not sure if I'm on my own here, but this seems like a lot of
TJ> namespace clutter for little benefit.  What's the problem with
TJ> "yum install php-pear-FOO"?

I believe spot's reasoning was that we don't want
users to have to know whether what they want is in a PEAR or PECL
module.  I'm not sure it's worth the inevitable namespace collision.

I can see the reasoning (Tom?), but:

a) PEAR and PECL are fundamentally two quite different things. If someone is specifically installing a PEAR or PECL package (as opposed to getting one pulled in as a dep of something else, in which case the naming is mostly irrelevant) then presumably they already know what it is and how to use it. If they don't know whether it's a PEAR or a PECL module, they're not likely to have much success using it, not least because PECL extends the language core with (normally procedural) functions that don't need external requires() whereas PEAR modules are PHP classes that normally need explicit requires() when they are used.

b) Even ignoring (a), personally I think the namespace clutter and possible collisions mean that it's not really worth it.

Tim