[Fedora-packaging] PHP packaging policy notes

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 22:56:45 UTC 2006

On 7/4/06, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> > [ || : bits]
> > CS> Why are these no longer wanted?  First I am told to put them in, and
> > CS> now I am told not to.
> >
> > I was asked to remove them and told they were no longer necessary for
> > one of my packages, but now I can't find it where that was.  (I think
> > it was the denyhosts review, but that ticket seems to be missing from
> > bugzilla completely for whatever reason.)
> >
> > Honestly I don't fully understand the issue so don't take what I wrote
> > as the way things have to be.
>
> One of the scriptlets in question was:
>
> %postun
> if [ "$1" -eq "0" ]; then
>     /usr/bin/pear uninstall --nodeps --ignore-errors --register-only \
>         PEAR_Command_Packaging >/dev/null
> fi
>
> I'll speculate that the --ignore-errors option means that pear will
> never return a non-zero exit status and hence the "|| :" is not needed
> to ensure that the scriptlet always "succeeds".

I supposed there is always a chance a buggy pear breaks the
--ignore-errors option, if someone has a hosed system and php
segfaults, will this also not be an issue, not sure if a segfault or
something constitutes an error being returned?  I kind of feel safer
keeping it there for insurance, but if there is a consensus to remove
it, that is fine with me.