Re: [Fedora-packaging] PHP packaging policy notes

On 7/4/06, Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 14:43 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> [ || : bits]
> CS> Why are these no longer wanted?  First I am told to put them in, and
> CS> now I am told not to.
>
> I was asked to remove them and told they were no longer necessary for
> one of my packages, but now I can't find it where that was.  (I think
> it was the denyhosts review, but that ticket seems to be missing from
> bugzilla completely for whatever reason.)
>
> Honestly I don't fully understand the issue so don't take what I wrote
> as the way things have to be.

One of the scriptlets in question was:

%postun
if [ "$1" -eq "0" ]; then
    /usr/bin/pear uninstall --nodeps --ignore-errors --register-only \
        PEAR_Command_Packaging >/dev/null
fi

I'll speculate that the --ignore-errors option means that pear will
never return a non-zero exit status and hence the "|| :" is not needed
to ensure that the scriptlet always "succeeds".

I supposed there is always a chance a buggy pear breaks the
--ignore-errors option, if someone has a hosed system and php
segfaults, will this also not be an issue, not sure if a segfault or
something constitutes an error being returned?  I kind of feel safer
keeping it there for insurance, but if there is a consensus to remove
it, that is fine with me.