Re: [Fedora-packaging] PHP packaging policy notes

tibbs math uh edu (Jason L Tibbitts III) writes:

> ES> Such Requires: do not make sense nowadays. The ability to require
> ES> a special program version was removed some time ago from rpm.
>
> Unfortunately I can't quite parse what Enrico has written here; it
> looks like that statement indicates that versioned requirements don't
> work in RPM, which I don't think is the case.
>
> Enrico, could you (or anyone else who understands the issue) elaborate
> a bit?

Some years ago, you could write

| Requires: foo > 2.1

which would be fulfilled by foo=0:2.1 but not by foo=42:1.0.

Then, rpm was changed to interprete the statement above as

| Requires: foo > 0:2.1

So, program version 1.0 packaged with an epoch of '42' would be allowed.

Therefore, versioned requirements make sense in a special environment
only where you exactly know possible EVR values.

Enrico