Re: [Fedora-packaging] PHP packaging policy notes

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 12:10 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:
> On 7/5/06, Enrico Scholz <enrico scholz informatik tu-chemnitz de> wrote:
> > With current rpm you can express package (but not version) dependencies
> > only. Therefore, the Requires: above would be fulfilled in FE3 because it
> > has bind-20:9.2.4 which is newer than bind-9.3 (which will be interpreted
> > as bind-0:9.3 nowadays).
>
> This must be a special case because packages are not meant to go from
> a higher epoch to a lower one.  We should not change every single spec
> file just because one package does things incorrectly so we can
> support a deprecated distro.

The only thing done incorrectly was having the:

Requires: bind >= 9.3

which, as Enrico said, was meaningless due to bind's use of epochs.

The bind package itself has used epochs in the correct ascending order
and has not done things incorrectly (other than use epochs at all, one
might say).

Paul.