[Fedora-packaging] PHP packaging policy notes

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 19:28:05 UTC 2006

On 7/5/06, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 12:10 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:
> > On 7/5/06, Enrico Scholz <enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> > > With current rpm you can express package (but not version) dependencies
> > > only. Therefore, the Requires: above would be fulfilled in FE3 because it
> > > has bind-20:9.2.4 which is newer than bind-9.3 (which will be interpreted
> > > as bind-0:9.3 nowadays).
> >
> > This must be a special case because packages are not meant to go from
> > a higher epoch to a lower one.  We should not change every single spec
> > file just because one package does things incorrectly so we can
> > support a deprecated distro.
>
> The only thing done incorrectly was having the:
>
> Requires: bind >= 9.3
>
> which, as Enrico said, was meaningless due to bind's use of epochs.
>
> The bind package itself has used epochs in the correct ascending order
> and has not done things incorrectly (other than use epochs at all, one
> might say).

oops I'm sorry, bind uses an epoch of 30 for FE5 these days, Enrico
said it used an epoch of 0 today (or that is how I intrepreted his
message).

So I am not really sure with how bind versioning numbers work and why
it's epoch is increased so much, but for a Fedora package you should
specify the epoch with bind to ensure the proper version.

If you want to make your spec file work with other distros you would
have to do something like:

%if 0%{?suse_version}
Requires:  bind >= 0:9.3 (or whatever epoch suse uses)
%else
Requires: bind >= 30:9.3
%endif