Re: [Fedora-packaging] PHP packaging policy notes

chris stone gmail com ("Christopher Stone") writes:

>> It is stupid and in most times redundant to add blindly a versioned
>> dependency just because a README tells that a certain version is
>> required.
>
> pear packages adhere to very strict standards and versioning
> requirements is part of that.  All pear packages are very specific
> about versioning requirements.

Again: rpm does not allow to require a certain program (PHP) version;
you can require a certain package version only.

And btw; packaging guidelines are handling this case already:

    [http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines]

> Please do not ask me to lower the quality standards that pear packages
> expect by not providing this information in my spec files.

You are not lowering quality standards when unneeded and non-working
things like "Requires: php >= 4.2" will be omitted.

Enrico